Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Application Letter for Internship


Ching Shi Chie
Address
98350666
a0072857@nus.edu.sg

19th February 2013

Human Resource Manager
Covance (Asia) Pte Ltd
1 International Business Park
#01-01 The Synergy
Singapore 609917

Dear Sir/Madam

Application for Research Attachment with Covance (Asia) Pte Ltd

I am interested in applying for internship at Covance (Asia) Pte Ltd during the summer break from Mid-May 2013 to Mid-August 2013.

I am a year 3 Chemistry undergraduate hoping to explore new avenues to further develop my interest in chemistry. My three year university course in Chemistry has taught me basic organic and analytical lab practices. I am equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to handle laboratory equipment like UV spectrometer, HPLC, Mass Spectroscopy and Gas Chromatography for lab analysis. Precision and accuracy are the key principles that I adhere to when performing a laboratory experiment. I also would like to learn more techniques to satisfy my hunger for knowledge. Apart from that, I successfully synthesized more than 20 organic compounds via solution- and solid-phase chemistry during my previous internship at A*STAR Experimental Therapeutics Centre which made me the Co-author of a scientific publication at European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.

In addition, as an Executive committee member of NUS Wind Symphony in NUS, I have to take the lead in organising activities such as our yearly concerts. Furthermore, I participated in the summer exchange programme in Hong Kong for one semester. Through these experiences in the committee and exchange programme, I have improved myself at the personal level and learnt to see things in a different light. While learning how to manage and work with my committee members, my interpersonal skills and communication skills have also greatly improved. This will allow me to work well and cohesively with fellow colleagues. For any tasks that I was given, I would definitely give my best and preserve to the end with determination, especially so when working in a challenging and motivating environment provided in your company.

The enclosed resume shows my skills and achievements. My available attachment period will be from mid-May 2013 to mid-August 2013. I look forward in having an interview with you to discuss my suitability for the internship in your company. I can be contacted at my mobile number 98350666 and my email at a0072857@nus.edu.sg.

I look forward in hearing from you. Thank you.
Yours faithfully




Ching Shi Chie

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shi Chie,

    Well written application letter. It properly highlights skills required by the job, and each skill is substantiated with relevant examples. Should be able to get the job, haha.

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shi Chie,

    Your experience in research in AStar sounds impressive. What impresses me also is your ability to clearly express your achievements your abilities to the reader in the first paragraph. It definitely made an impact with me.

    I tried looking at the Covance website to find out more about your company so that I can see whether your letter is tailored to the kind of people they need. However, unfortunately, I cannot really find out much information. In general, the attributes you mentioned should be a good fit for a researcher's job based on whatever little experience I have working with researchers.

    One last thing I will like to say is that research nowadays typically involves multi-disciplinary work. Hence, it will be good if you can show some exposure (maybe from your experience with your CCA or your internship) that shows that you can liaise well with researchers from other areas to develop applications. I think that will make your letter even more awesome!

    All the best for your internship application!

    Sincerely,
    Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Joe and Anthony for you advice and help! :) Greatly appreciated! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shi Chie,

    The highlight of your application letter is definitely your synthesis of more than 20 different organic compounds and that definitely stands out for me.

    The flow of the letter was quite nice and it was easy to move from one paragraph to the next.

    I would like to draw your attention to a single line though- "Through these experiences in the committee and exchange programme, I have improved myself at the personal level and learnt to see things in a different light. "

    In my opinion, 'personal level' sound slightly vague if your do not substantiate it with appropriate examples. I guess same is applicable for 'different light'. I feel that these words could either be changed to something more concrete or you could substantiate these with example perhaps?

    Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete